This time, I propose you to discover the Hachis Parmentier. This dish is made with mashed potato combined with a ragout (slow-cooked minced meat). It’s the french version of the popular shepherd’s pie.
The Hachis Parmentier is named in the late 18th century after Antoine-Augustin Parmentier, a French nutritionist who promoted the potato as an edible crop. The word “hachis” means a dish in which the ingredients are chopped or minced, from the same root as the English word “hatchet”. For this recipe, we will make our own mashed potato and believe me, after tasting this, you won’t ever be able to eat any other mashed popato. But don’t worry too much, this recipe is not really difficult.
Ingredients (4 serving)
- mashed potato
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 1 york
- 150 ml of milk
- 50 gr of cream
- 40 gr of butter
- 100 g of Emmental or Comte
- sea salt
- Hachis (ragout)
- 400 g of minced beef
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 20 g of butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Clean the potatoes and put them in a cooking pot filled with cold water and sea salt. (be generous with the sea salt). Don’t peel the potatoes: their skin will help protect them to absorb water.
- Cook for 30 minutes. To be sure that your potatoes are cooked. Dip a knife into the potatoes. The knife should penetrate them easily. If you’re not sure the potatoes are ready, let them cook a little longer.
- Peel onion and garlic. Mince them.
- Clean the leek and mince it
- Peel the carrot and dice it
- In a large pan, melt the butter and pour in the vegetables. Add the thyme and cover. Cook for 15 minutes at low heat.
- When it is cooked, pour in the olive oil and the mince meat. Cook at high heat for 10 minutes. Stir from time to time.
- When cooked, cover to keep it warm
- Pre-heat your over at 180 degrees (Celcius)
- Now’s time to make your mashed potato.
- peel your potatoes while hot and cut them in four. Tip! I put the potatoes in a bowl filled with water at room’s temperature to cool them down a little bit but not too much.
- mash them with a potato masher. You can use an electric one or a food processor like this one but do not use your mixer. Your mashed potatoe will get a very unpleasant plastic feel.
- Warm the cream and the milk in a saucepan but do not bring it to the boil.
- Add the diced butter & whip until blended
- Add salt, pepper & nutmeg
- Pour the saucepan on the mashed potato and the york while whipping. It is important to whip when adding the york to not cook it.
- Now’s time to build our hachis Parmentier: fill a dish with the ragout at the bottom, then the mashed potato and on top of it the emmental.
- Cook for 15 minutes and and grill it for 5 more minutes to brown the cheese.
- Serve immediately!
You can now enjoy a real french Hachis Partentier and you know how to make an awesome mashed potato! Do you like it? Have remarks or suggestion? Use the comment bellow!
Download this recipe for your favorite recipe software
- Download for MacGourmet 4 – Get Mac Gourmet Deluxe for Mac on the Mac AppStore
- Download for Gourmet for iPhone & iPad – Get Gourmet for iPhone & iPad on the AppStore
- Download for MealMaster – Get Meal Master for Windows
- Download for MasterCook MX2 – Get MasterCook for Windows
- Download in RTF